BILLS MUST BE SUMITTED MONTHLY. ITEMS OLDER THAN 30 DAYS WILL NOT BE PAID.
- Here’s some easy directions to get yourself paid.
- Please list your PERMANENT HOME ADDRESS, not your local address.
NOTE: Writers cannot be paid twice for the same story, one running online and one running in the paper.
- Single source brief (print or online) : $3
- Bylined story in print $3 to $7, depending on depth of reporting
- Bylined story online $3 to $6, depending on depth of reporting
- Column (including TV reviews) $7
- Review (restaurant or movie) $10, limited to one per week (has to be approved ahead of time and only one is allowed per week)
- Briefs (print or online) $3
- Payment for in-depth/special projects will be determined by the editor-in-chief and the adviser.
NOTE: Photographers cannot be paid twice for the same picture or video clip, one running online (including in a gallery or a multimedia piece) and one running in the paper.
- Single photo $6
- Headshot $3
- Restaurant review photos $8 for photos taken of reporter’s dish
- Photo illustration $3-$6 (depends on complexity of illustration) limited to one per week (has to be approved ahead of time and only one is allowed per week)
- Editorial Illustration $6-$10, determined by the editor-in-chief
- Photo package or essay of an event/topic with three or more photos $15
- In-depth photo story (multiple events/locations) three or more photos $20
- Photo stories that are not assigned by an editor but submitted for an editor’s consideration by a photographer from classroom or freelance work will be a flat rate, if published $10 per submission
- Photo running online, not in print edition or in gallery $3
- Photo running in online gallery $2, maximum of $8
- Multimedia piece of high quality produced by a single individual specifically for wkuherald.com (up to discretion of editors) $25
- Multimedia piece of high quality produced by a single individual specifically for a class and later repurposed for wkuherald.com $15 (in the case of a re-edit, pay can be determined by editor-in-chief and web editor)
- Multimedia piece of high quality produced by a group to be divided up by amount of work each individual takes on $30 (Additional pay for special projects will be at the discretion of the adviser)
- Multimedia piece produced by individual who did not shoot photos $10
- Collecting audio, video and shooting photos for a multimedia piece (no production) $8
- Photos in multimedia piece, where photographer was not a team member: $2, maximum of $8
- Podcast production $8
- Instagram image that is not in print or on the website $1
- Quick turn multimedia piece produced as a daily video or along with a story that requires less editing time than a longer piece. Can be produced by an individual or a small team. Equipment used can be iPhone or other smartphones or DSLR. Requirements include uploading to YouTube or an editor as well as following through with promotion through social media with the help of the social media manager. $8
- Clip video of a short daily story such as a press conference, interview, or breaking news. Equipment used can be iPhone or other smartphones or DSLR. Requirements include uploading to YouTube or an editor as well as following through with promotion through social media with the help of the social media manager. $3
- Comic strip $6
- Editorial cartoon $7
- Standalone video clips to be included in longer term projects where editing is done for Cherry Creative) $3