BILLS MUST BE SUMITTED MONTHLY. ITEMS OLDER THAN 30 DAYS WILL NOT BE PAID.
- Here’s some easy directions to get yourself paid.
- Please list your PERMANENT HOME ADDRESS, not your local address.
NOTE: Writers cannot be paid twice for the same story, one running online and one running in the paper.
- Single source brief (print or online) : $3
- Bylined story in print $15 to $20, depending on depth of reporting
- Bylined story online $7 to $10, depending on depth of reporting
- Approved in Advance:
- Opinion Pieces: Columns & Reviews (including TV, restaurant, and movie reviews) $6-10
- Reviews (restaurant or movie) $6-10, limited to one per week
- Payment for in-depth/special projects will be determined by the editor-in-chief and the adviser.
NOTE: Photographers cannot be paid twice for the same picture or video clip, one running online (including in a gallery or a multimedia piece) and one running in the paper.
- Cover Photo $25
- Single photo $10
- Headshot $5
- Photo/Editorial illustration $6-$10 (depends on complexity of illustration and includes dishes- has to be approved ahead of time)
- Photo package or essay of an event/topic with three or more photos $18
- In-depth photo story (multiple events/locations) three or more photos $20
- Single supplemental photo for a story online, not in print edition or in gallery $6
- Multiple photos in a gallery for an online story $15
- Single photo running in a gallery $4, maximum of $15 (example: basketball photo gallery)
- iPhone Photo taken by a reporter to supplement a story online $3
- High quality video produced by a single individual specifically for wkuherald.com $25
- High quality video produced by a single individual for a class and later repurposed for wkuherald.com $15 (in the case of a re-edit, pay can be determined by editor-in-chief and web editor)
- High quality video produced by a group to be divided up by the amount of work each individual takes on $30 (Additional pay for special projects will be at the discretion of the adviser)
- iPhone video of daily news stories such as press conferences, where no editing is needed. $5
- Collecting audio, video and shooting photos for a multimedia piece (no production) $8
- iPhone video produced for daily event coverage for alongside a story that requires minimal editing time. Can be produced by an individual or a small team. $10
- iPhone video produced for longer stories or reels that are put on the Herald Youtube channel for archival purposes. Can be produced by an individual or a small team. $15-20
- Podcast production $10
- Comic strip $6
- Editorial cartoon $7